SureCrete’s Micro Topping is a single component thin concrete overlay that is a self-bonding cement based, for interior concrete surfaces. Micro Topping was designed to yield an exceptionally smooth tight-troweled finish that can provide a new “blank canvas” for decorative concrete floors. It may also be placed vertically on interior walls, creating the look of Venetian plaster. Application is accomplished by trowel or “magic trowel.” Micro Topping thin concrete overlay is prepared with gray cement or white cement that may accept Color Packs.
When restoring an old concrete surface, or even possibly some freshly poured ones, inevitably there is some discoloration and cracks or possibly even large patching that has to be done. These blemishes on your concrete slab can easily show through any decorative stains or sealers applied to your finished surface. With Micro Topping thin concrete overlay, your newly created “blank canvas” can alleviate these issues, giving you a nice clean surface to begin creating your new custom floor designs. While it may take a professionally trained hand to tightly trowel a perfectly flat surface using Micro Topping, many of the designs you can create using this product can be achieved by even the untrained Do it yourself (DIY) homeowner.
Micro Topping can be utilized in a variety of different thin concrete overlay functions:
- Custom Floor Tile Patterns
- “Slop-Trowel” Unique Floor Finish
- Faux Slate Tile
- Faux “Marbled” Floor Designs
- Faux Venetian Plaster Wall Coating
- Commercial Floor Coatings
- Solid Color Floors
- Blank Canvas for Eco-Stain
- Custom Themed Thin Overlay
- Screened-In Patios
- Kitchen & Living Area Floors
How Do You Apply SureCrete Micro Topping Thin Concrete Overlay Mix?
We’ll show you the best way to apply Micro Topping:
- Any surface receiving a cementitious coating must be clean, cured, sound and profiled. See our Surface Preparation products for more information on accomplishing this
- Make sure that temperatures will remain between 50 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit and there will be no precipitation in the applied areas for a 48 hour period following application.
- Add 5 quarts water per 40 lb bag to 5 gal bucket and mix in any color desired for integral coloring of Micro Topping
- Slowly introduce Micro Topping while continuously mixing and mix for a minimum of 1 minute once all product has been emptied into container. Scrape the sides of the bucket to make sure there are no “dry pockets” that didn’t get mixed properly.
- Mist the surface of the concrete with water, and pour out a generous amount of Micro Topping thin concrete overlay.
- Tightly trowel or squeegee the product over your entire application area.
- If you need a second coat of Micro Topping thin concrete overlay, simply wait until the surface is properly cured – between 2-6 hours. Then simply apply the same as first coat!
- Once the surface is dry to the touch, it can accept stains and secondary colorants at this point, and is also ready to receive a sealer. Typical indoor applications would utilize a polyurethane or polyaspartic sealer from our DuraKote line of products.
Frequently Asked Questions About Micro Topping Thin Concrete Overlay:
Do I have to use two coats of Micro Topping?
Not necessarily. It depends completely upon the design your looking for and
the substrate you’re working with.
How do I make those nice tape patterns in thin concrete overlay?
They’re fairly simple to create, just check out our Design Ideas or Videos
section for a few pointers. If nothing else, feel free to attend one of our
local training opportunities throughout the country.
Can I mix Micro Topping in large batches?
While mixing in large batches can be done, it is important to never mix up
more than can be applied within a 45 minute time frame.
Why are there different colors and cracks shadowing through my Micro Topping Thin Concrete Overlay
Micro Topping is applied at such a thin rate that imperfections will likely
show through in the first coat of the product, this would be a case where a
second coat would likely be desired.
Specs and Properties of Micro Topping:
Coverage Approx 200-300 square foot (Varies based on substrate and application)
VOC Rating 0 g/L
Shelf Life 1 year in original unopened
Mixing Ratio 5-6 quarts water per 40 lb bag
Base Color White
Density 126.1 lbs/cubic foot
Compressive Strength ASTM C-109: 4,278
PSI @ 28 days
Flexural Strength ASTM C-348: 995 PSI @ 28 days
Strength ASTM C-190: 440 PSI @ 28 days
Abrasion Resistance ASTM D-4060: 28
days %loss – 500 cycles – less than 0.50%
Mosaic Shear ANSI A 118.4: 280 PSI
@ 28 days
If you use another thin concrete overlay mixes, you should try Surecrete Micro Topping to see the difference for yourself.