SureCrete’s XS lightweight concrete casting mix is a dual component lightweight bag mix able to create cast pieces that can replace heavy, bulky precast concrete architectural elements. The lightweight aggregate provides the greatest strength and unparalleled readability, among the choices for lightweight concrete. XS Lightweight Plus 1 greatly reduces the materials and labor required to construct traditional architectural detailing and panels. Thinner precast pieces are routine and quicker production times are accomplished. With a wide range of textures and color selection, design considerations are nearly limitless. XS Lightweight Plus 1 provides a durable precast element for a pleasing architectural detail.
When trying to reduce labor costs on concrete fabrication projects, being able to limit your de-molding and installation crew to only one or two people can be a huge help. With a material density of only seventy pounds per cubic foot, a piece casted in XS Lightweight Plus 1 is nearly half the weight of a typical casted concrete project. This weight savings can also help to make architecturally engineered specifications a little easier to accomplish, being able to limit the load on multiple story buildings.
Specs and Properties of XS Lightweight Plus 1
Coverage: 35 lb bag = approx 12 square foot @ 1/2″ or roughly 0.5 cubic foot.
VOC Rating: 0 g/L
Shelf Life: 1 year in original unopened container
Mixing Ratio: 1 gal XS Lightweight Plus Modifier, 16 oz water to 50 lb XS Lightweight Plus 1 (up to 48 oz add’l water)
Density: 70 lbs/cubic foot
Here are some examples of pieces that can be made with XS Lightweight Plus 1:
- Architectural Accents
- Staircase Rails
- Wall Decorations
- Decorative Statues
- Building Facades
- Three-Dimensional Molds
- Custom Building Accents
- Free-Standing Art Pieces
How Do You Apply SureCrete XS lightweight concrete casting mix low-density concrete casting blend?
XS Lightweight Plus 1 is an extremely simple product to use when you’ve got a mold to fill:
- In a 6-gallon bucket, pour in XS Lightweight Plus Modifier, 16 oz of water and any powder colorants you want to use to integrally color your mix, and mix thoroughly, slowly adding the XS Face dry contents from the bag.(add up to 48 oz more of water to mix to a consistency you like)
- Pour in or hand pack XS Lightweight Plus 1 into your mold, making sure to move the mix around in your mold to get rid of any air pockets or voids.
- In warm weather, allow 6-8 hours before removing from the mold (in extreme cold temperatures or for a very thick pour, allow 10-12 hours).
- Once de-molded, use SCR, diluted at 3:1 with water, to clean your new surface.
- If there are any small pinholes in your surface, utilize our XS Slurry mix to fill.
- If you desire any additional color or accents, now would be the time to apply a stain like Eco-Stain.
- Your new XS Lightweight Plus 1 surface is now ready to receive a coat of sealer and be finished! Congrats on your newly casted lightweight concrete surface!
Frequently Asked Questions About XS Lightweight Concrete Casting Mix:
Question: Should I use Lightweight Plus 3 or Lightweight Plus 1?
Answer: The first consideration is whether or not you intend to add a custom color to your mix integrally. The Plus 3 mix is a buff color by nature and contains less portland cement (the main carrier for color in a concrete mix) and will not accept color very well at all. The Plus 3 is also a slightly less dense material for the pieces that need to be much lighter in weight. Lastly, The Plus 1 mix can be removed from it’s mold at least 4 hours sooner than the Plus 3 mix, and is fully cured 24-48 hours earlier than the Plus 3 mix.
Question: How long do I have to leave XS Lightweight Plus 1 in the mold?
Answer: In most climates, 6-8 hours is sufficient. In much colder temperatures, extend that time to 10-12 hours, but don’t leave it in the mold any more than 24 hours.
Question: Can I use XS Lightweight Plus 1 in a Pour-In-Place project?
Answer: It certainly can, however be sure not to overwork the surface as you may expose fibers in the mix.
Question: Can I grind and polish XS Lightweight Plus 1?
Answer: No, XS Lightweight products are not meant to be ground and polished as this will expose the fibers in the mix. It is finished by sealing.
Question: Can I use XS Lightweight Plus 1 outside? Will the pieces I make freeze and break?
Answer: It certainly has the flexural strength to deal with freeze/thaw climates, just make sure the surface itself is protected by a exterior concrete sealer.
Specification and Properties of XS Lightweight Plus 1
|Coverage||35 lb bag = approx 12 square foot @ 1/2″ or roughly 0.5 cubic foot.|
|VOC Rating||0 g/L|
|Shelf Life||1 year in original unopened container|
|Mixing Ratio||1 gal XS Lightweight Plus Modifier, 16 oz water to 50 lb XS Lightweight Plus 1 (up to 48 oz add’l water)|
|Density||70 lbs/cubic foot|